When: June 28-29, 2024
Where: The LeGrand Center, Shelby, NC
Summary: This two-day conference features speakers who specialize in all manner of special needs to encourage and equip parents in homeschooling their children. It will also have exhibitors that focus on special needs of all kinds, plus a sensory room for children who need a stimulation break. The Expo will also have a Church Track to assist churches in implementing special needs ministry into the life of their congregations.
Closest Airport: Charlotte-Douglas International Airport (CLT)
There are many benefits to attending the Homeschooling Special Needs Expo. But first, why the title "Homeschooling Special Needs Expo?" The term "special needs" was chosen because the Expo caters to a wide range of disabilities, including neurodivergent such as autism, ADHD, Down Syndrome, cerebral palsy, sight-and hearing impaired, spinal bifida, spinal cord injuries, learning disabled, dyslexia, dysgraphia, and others. The Homeschooling Special Needs Expo is the first major conference that specializes just in homeschooling differently-abled children and teens, with an exhibit hall full of companies and organizations that help parents homeschool and/or parent their children, plus a Church Track that trains pastors, youth leaders, childrens' workers, etc., how to be more inclusive of children, teens, and adults with disabilities. In addition, the Expo features a Sensory Room with activities that children and teens can enjoy and use to de-stress during the Expo (and parents can learn about Sensory Rooms and the benefits of sensory toys and tools). Sessions on a wide variety of topics are also available to teach parents how to homeschool their children with varying needs--and how to practice self-care as individuals and families.
So what are the benefits of attending the Homeschooling Special Needs Expo?
- Gain knowledge from respected experts in the various fields represented at the Expo, and from parents who are in the trenches of special needs and help parents navigate through it
- Talk with curriculum providers, creators, and distributors about various curricula to help your child
- Know you're not alone as you chat with other parents going through the same thing
- An exhibit hall full of people from companies who cater to special needs in whatever form, eager to help you homeschool your precious child or teen (or adult)
- Access to the Homeschooling Special Needs Expo Facebook Group, which is a supportive and informative community for parents homeschooling their special needs children
The Church Track exists to assist churches in implementing programs to minister to special needs populations in and around their churches. Click here for more information.
Keynote: Dr. Temple Grandin
We're thrilled to announce that autism advocate Dr. Temple Grandin will be delivering the Capstone Keynote, in person, on Saturday evening, June 29, 2024 at the Expo.
BIO: Temple Grandin was diagnosed with autism as a child and went on to pursue work in psychology and animal science. She has become a leading advocate for autistic communities and has also written books and provided consultation on the humane treatment of animals. In 2010, HBO released an Emmy Award-winning film on Grandin’s life.
Keynote: Terrie McKee, Homeschooling One Child &
For more information on being a sponsor, click here.